Friday, October 18, 2019

Dinner

Normally I drive a couple hours for Uber when I get outta work. Tonight I could not.

I'm a waiter. These regulars who always ask for me came in tonight. Of all the people I serve, this couple is among the only ones I'm genuinely happy to see.

I'm also a great actor.

A lengthy conversation usually ensues right before they are going to leave. This time was no different in that regard. The subject matter was though.

I don't know what brought it on exactly but I ended up telling them I had studied to be a priest for 7 years and I think from there the woman asked me about before and after, during. I said some of the things I normally never say to anyone, including something brief about what happened to me in the seminary and how I had been divorced now for 6 years and single for 4.

After this, she just looked at me wide-eyed and I could see the words jumping out of her mouth one after another like wild elephants that just could not be tamed. She said:

"Wow. How could you then be able to even be in a relationship being so broken?"

And her face immediately after saying this contorted, horrified at what she said; and she stared at the space between us like she was looking at some sort of gruesome phantom she had herself birthed.

I stared back, tears in my eyes, and replied, "I know."


No comments:

Post a Comment