Tuesday, January 5, 2016

One Fine Day


By Joseph Cunningham

Written for my sister, Katie, (left in a card) on the occasion of her marriage, shortly after mine ended: August 3rd, 2013. 


  
When I look out, upon this day
And think of you, my darling sister
And your man; and the joy that’s come your way
I could not be any happier for you.
I would lie to say today I cannot think upon my own misfortune,
From that wedding. And yet, I am holding now a beautiful son.
And I ask myself, “How can I offer words to thee -
My dear sister, my brother?”

These are them:

When flowers bloom, and the sun shines warm;
When the wind blows hard and the rains do storm;
When feelings go and words are knives;
When you don’t see each other with misty eyes;
And you forgot to bring home a surprise.

When you dread the silence in the room;
And the days begin with deaf-‘ning gloom;
When the pain is tense, and the help is not;
When you pray to God and think He’s all you’ve got;
When death looks like a better lot.

When the cold room warms with thoughts of them;
When the moon glows more than it did back then;
When no place is bad with the other in hand;
When children’s fun fills the house with sand;
When the work load breaks the will to stand;
When the bills pile up;
And the kids do not understand.

When you’re kissed with fervor;
When you’re asked to wait.
When you forgot that all-important date;
The instance you think you’ve made a big mistake –

Love each other.

Because at the end of the day,
You were meant to be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment