Monday, March 18, 2019

Drive





Drove this lady in her 40’s. It was late. Picked her up at one of the lesser-knowns on Tipp Hill. I could tell she was distraught as soon as she got in my car. There’s an air about people I can sense from a mile away.

I was playing Kanye that I didn’t like too loud and she asked me to turn it down. She was on the phone. I heard “they didn’t tell me why he was in timeout!” and “would you let them spend the night there?”

She set the wrong destination and was mad when I went where it said, but I let her be.

I pulled in and she asked me to wait. About two minutes later she was back with two little girls. One might have been 5, the other in her arms asleep maybe 3. I didn’t get a good look.

I helped her fix things on her phone after we hastily left the driveway. An older lady followed the car most of the way down.

I switched the music to Moby’s ambients which made the car just glide over the black and orange pavement. A very gentle snow was falling now.

The older daughter asked the mother, “Why did we have to leave Ra’s?” and without missing a beat she responded “we’re doing something tomorrow.”

The younger daughter woke up suddenly, gasping as if from a nightmare. She sighed right after, realizing she was in her mother’s arms, and fell back asleep.

“What are we doing tomorrow?” asked the older one.

“Going to church,” said the mother.

“You said we could skip it,” said the child.

“Not anymore,” she said.






No comments:

Post a Comment